Being an Odia kid, sometimes I feel that I must highlight the food that I consume in my home. The food that is cooked with lots of love and years of experience. Sometimes, it so damn complicated and sometimes, it is so simple and rustic. Today, I am here with a recipe close to my heart. Yes, you guessed it right, this from my grandmother’s and mom’s kitchen. In my childhood, I have relished this dish multiple times. Later on, being diet-conscious, I realised, this age-old dish has a very good nutritional value.
This dish which I am going to tell about has a few very basic ingredients. No complicated procedure or no measured ingredients are involved. My mom usually puts all the ingredients with assumption. Even I learnt to make it in the same manner. But the health-conscious soul of mine doesn’t allow me to go open-hearted for any ingredient. Or else you know, that daily maintenance calorie will definitely exceed the limits.
Anyway, I would love to tell you that I got the inspiration for the dish from our very own “Atta Chakuli”, which typically consists of whole wheat flour, over-ripened banana, salt and sugar. My mom loves to put fennel seeds in the batter to enhance the flavours more. But as we are living in 2020, we now know how to modify things as per our requirements. So before getting into the detailed recipe, let us get into the nutritional factors of the key ingredients of the dish
RIPE BANANA- Ripe banana is considered as a super nutritious food all over the world. It has a higher content of antioxidants. It helps in improved digestion. It moderates sugar level in blood as well as heart health. As banana is a very filling food so usually, it contributes to your weight loss by limiting the overeating. But you have to consume it in limits. This is full of minerals which is quite essential for the body.
FENNEL SEEDS- it regulated blood pressure. Fennel is good in treating constipation and other stomach problem.it helps in blood purification. It helps in improved eyesight. It reduces water retention in the body. Apart from all it has a great effect on skin health. It reduces acne and makes your skin healthy. It help is digestion too.
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 1tsp freshly and roughly crushed fennel seeds
- Pinch of freshly crushed black pepper powder
- 6-7 dates deseeded and soaked for 1 hour in normal temperature water
- 1 ripe banana (I prefer little overripe banana)
- 2 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of soda bicarb
- Water (to maintain the consistency)
- 1tsp ghee/oil
- Take out the dates from the water and roughly chop them
- In a blender jar, put the milk, banana, dates.
- Blend it smooth.
- Take it to a mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, salt, crushed fennel seeds, crushed black pepper, and soda bicarb.
- Whisk it well until you get everything mixed.
- Add water to adjust the pancake batter consistency.
- Heat a non-stick frypan.
- Brush little bit oil on it. Lower the heat.
- Pour a ladle of batter into the pan and turn the heat to high till you see bubbles appearing on top of the pancake.
- Sprinkle toasted sunflower seeds on it.
- Now simmer the heat and flip the pancake carefully.
- On medium to low flame, cook the pancake till done.
Serve it hot with honey or date syrup reduction topping.