Since the past few weeks, I have been uploading recipes of various types of biryani on this page.
Yes, this is end-of-the-year time and we Indians love to go out for picnics and parties during this season. When we talk about Indian parties, Biryani and kebabs are a must on the menu. We prepare them with different types of marination and lots of love. In this page, I have posted the recipes of Mutton biryani, Hari-Bhari biryani and Safed biryani. Three of them cater to different party moods.
As of now, chicken biryani has been one of the most ordered and popular foods in India especially in 2019. Chicken biryani can be made in a lot of ways differing in the recipes and the marination. As per my knowledge and observation, biryani changed from place to place with the preference of rulers and the available ingredients. At some places, it is kept simple and is made with less number of ingredients and at some part of the country, it requires a lot of skills and ingredients to make a nice biryani.
Anyways, what we are gonna make here is quite simple, super yummy and yet healthier version of chicken biryani. Let us get into the nutritional factors of the core ingredients.
CHICKEN- Chicken has very high protein content, which plays a very important role in sustaining our muscles. chicken is always included in a healthy diet is because it is basically a lean meat, which means it doesn’t have much fat. So, eating chicken regularly can actually help you lose weight in a healthy way. Chicken is also a rich source of calcium and phosphorous. These minerals keep your bones healthy. Eating chicken regularly also cuts the risk of arthritis too. Apart from these, chicken is beneficial in stress management, weight management, immunity-boosting etc.
- 400gms chicken (drumsticks)
- 200gms long grain basmati rice
- 2tbsp fresh mint leaves
- 2tbsp Kashmiri chilly powder
- 2tbsp fresh coriander leaves(roughly chopped)
- 6-7tbsp Brown onions
- 1inch cinnamon stick
- 1tbsp ginger garlic paste(freshly made)
- 1 strand of mace
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 slit green chillies
- 1/4th cup whipped curd
- 2-3 cloves
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- Seeds of 1 black cardamom
- 2-3 Green cardamom
- Salt to taste
- 1tbsp desi ghee/ clarified butter
- 1tbsp rose water
- 2 tbsp saffron soaked milk
For Potli masala-
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 1tsp Shah jeera
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 green chilly
- 2-3 cloves
- 5-6 black peppercorn
- 1 star-anise
- This recipe has 2 parts,
- Clean the chicken
- Marinate the chicken with whipped curd, ginger garlic paste, 3-4 tbsp brown onion, Kashmiri chilly paste and salt.
- Put the whole spices i.e cinnamon stick, mace, bay leaf, black peppercorns, clove, black cardamom seeds, green cardamom into the marinated chicken.
- Mix well and let it marinate for 1 hr.
- Take ½ tbsp ghee or clarified butter into a deep pan and in goes the marinated chicken.
- Slow cook, it till aromatic and the chicken is cooked.
- Rinse and soak the rice for 15 minutes
- Take a handi/ deep pan, put enough of water to boil the rice.
- Put 2tbsp salt and little bit of ghee into the water.
- Make a Potli/pocket of these Potli spices with a piece of muslin cloth.
- Put the Potli/pocket into the water, lid on and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Put the rice into the water and let it cook on high flame for 1st 2 minutes.
- Lower the flame and cook it till rice is 80% done.
- Take out the Potli and strain the rice and keep it aside.
FOR DUM COOKING-
- Take a flat and heavy bottom pan.
- Apply ghee in the bottom of the pan put a thin layer of rice.
- Now arrange the chicken pieces on it.
- Put the gravy/masala on the chicken
(if you are a fan of having a clean biryani/ a biryani with no whole spices in it, then strain the gravy so that all whole spices get separated. Or else you can directly put the gravy in)
- Layer the rest of the rice on top of the chicken layer.
- Put a little bit of brown onion, roasted cashew, rose water, saffron milk and dash of ghee on top of the rice layer.
- Dum cook it on indirect heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let it stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Uncover the biryani and just feel the aroma.