FISH CAKE WITH ITALIAN TWIST-
Catch of the day ????
A popular 19th-century snack of Western Hemisphere is said to be a lip-smacking deep-fried junk food with lots of starch and oil and is widely consumed around the globe. Conventionally, it was made with the leftover fish with mashed potatoes and bread crumbs. Traditionally made with Cod, but nowadays salmon, crabs and many other kinds of seafood have taken the place.
Anyways my job is to make it healthy for you and we are going to enjoy the same lip-smacking flavour as well but this time with my twist.
Let’s get into the nutritive facts of the ingredients that we are going to use here-
- Fish– Fish, to taste right, must swim three times – in water, in butter, and in wine, jokes apart it is a rich source of protein, omega 3 fatty acids, iodine, many other vitamins and minerals which are vital for physical and mental fitness.
- Sweet potato– It is my very own replacement to the starchy potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a rich source of fibre as well as containing lots of vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium, and they’re a good source of most of our B vitamins and vitamin C. Also they’re high in an antioxidant known as beta-carotene.
- Italian white sauce– Usually this sauce is made up of with lots of cheese and cream. But I am going to make it for you without cream and with very less cheese. It has milk and a mix of Italian seasoning which has lots of beneficial herbs and all the goodness of milk.
- So, get your nom on ????…..
(FOR FISH CAKE)
- 250gms Skinned/deboned fish fillet (Salmon.)
- 1bay leaf
- 1cup milk
- 2 medium-size Sweet potato (boiled and peeled then pass it through a metal sieve for extra smoothness)
- 2tsp White pepper powder (take freshly crushed if possible)
- Salt to taste
- APF (All-purpose flour/ Maida)- just to coat a thin layer on the fish cakes.
- 1 egg (nicely beaten)
- Freshly made bread crumbs (Toast 4-5 side trimmed bread slices on a frying pan for 2 mins. Then grind it till you get a not so fine crumb texture.
- Finely chopped fresh coriander stems
· FOR ITALIAN WHITE SAUCE-
- 100 ml milk(4% fat)
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1tsp all-purpose flour
- 1tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- 1tsp parmesan cheese
- Mixed Italian seasoning
- Crushed white pepper powder Salt
- Take 150ml milk in a pan with the bay leaf, a pinch of salt and boil it.
- Add the fish fillets and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Take that out of the flame and keep it covered for 10-15 min in the pan. (don’t remove the lid before 10 mins)
Now for the white sauce-
- Put olive oil in another pan on low flame.
- Add the 1tsp flour and mix properly.
- Now add the 100 ml milk to it gradually with continuous stirring to avoid any lumps (preferably with a whisk).
- Once the milk starts to thicken add in the cheese.
- Add the mix Italian seasoning and salt (be careful about the salt quantity as cheese already contains salt).
- Turn off the flame and leave it to cool down.
- Now flake the fish with a fork and fold it with the white sauce and finely chopped coriander.
- Add the white pepper powder, salt to the mashed sweet potato.
- Add salt to the egg and mix nicely
- Now line up the ingredients in a row
- (1st – fish mixture, 2nd -the mashed sweet potatoes, 3rd – all-purpose flour, 4th -the beaten egg, 5th -bread crumbs)
- Rub Lil bit olive oil on your palm
- Make a small cup-like structure with the mashed sweet potatoes
- Stuff the fish in the cup and close the end(make a patty shape )
- Roll that on the all-purpose flour. (remove extra flour by tapping slowly)
- Now put that in the egg and coat nicely but with smooth hands
- Put that carefully on the bread crumb plate and coat it well.
- Take a non-stick Tawa or seasoned iron skillet
- Brush oil on the pan put the cakes slowly and carefully in it to start cooking on a low flame till you get a golden brown colour as shown in the picture.
- Slowly flip the cakes and cook the other side.
- Enjoy your crisp outside yet deliciously creamy inside Italian fish cakes with chilly- tomato sauce or any tangy n spicy sauce of your choice.
(*tip1- As you are now deep frying the cakes, so we have to be care full while cooking the cakes)
(*tip2- Make the cakes little thin so it gets cooked in a shorter time period)