It is time for some Rasmalai, I know it is weird to talk about such a rich dessert on this page. Yeh but sometimes I do prefer to have a cheat meal. This tiny piece of happiness complement well, my once in a while craving for my favourite dessert. I enjoyed it thoroughly and yes as always I added my twist to it. As the name suggests, I simply inverted the way we see and enjoy the Rasmalai.
If we get into the history of Rasmalai, it is said that Rasmalai got its origin from the eastern part of the country. Basically from Odisha and Bengal. In Rasmalai, what we have is, chenna/cottage cheese balls, cooked in sugar syrup goes into a delicious, sweet, nutty, milky broth. Usually, the flavouring agents are saffron, green cardamom, pistachio and rose water.
Without spending much time on stories and concept, let us get into the nutritional factors of the core ingredient of the dish.
Fresh chenna/fresh cottage cheese– cottage cheese is rich In Protein. Being rich in calcium it strengthens bones and teeth. It improves digestion and boost weight loss too.
- Freshly made soft cottage cheese/ chena (from 1 litre of milk)
- 1-litre milk
- 1tbsp corn starch
- 2tbsp finely chopped pistachio
- 2tbsp finely chopped almond
- 4tbsp sugar (2tbsp powdered + 2tbsp granular)
- 1green cardamom
- 2-3 drops of rose water
- Knead the freshly made cottage cheese/chena till you get a smooth consistency
- Add the corn starch and powdered sugar into it and mix thoroughly.
- Cover it and Keep the chena aside.
- To make the sweet thicked milk, boil 1 litre of milk and reduce it to half of the quantity.
- Add the sugar, pistachio, almond, cardamom and rose water to it.
- Boil for 2 more minutes.
- Add little bit of corn starch to thicken it a little more.
- Take a cylindrical greased mould.
- Line the base and sides of the mould with chena mixture.
- Put some flavoured and cooled thickened milk in the centre.
- Put a sheet of chena mixture on the top and let it steam for 5-8 minutes on high flame in an idli steamer or dhokla steamer.
- Take it out and garnish with chopped pistachio
Enjoy your dessert.