JACKFRUIT KEBAB/ KATHAL KE KEBABS-
My dad calls it “Veg mutton “or you can say Vegan Meat Replacements.
Yeh, you heard it right, in my childhood I was told that it is mutton to satiate my cravings for non-veg during the auspicious days(we have specific vegetarian days in India every week). And
I really miss those super cute yet operative lies of dad which made me eat these Kathals and with the right blend of spices making it even more flavoursome.
To me, raw jackfruit is the most versatile veggie like potatoes. We can boil it, grill it, bake it, and can do lots of Indian gravies andPilafplus the stunning one-pots too
Before getting into the recipes let’s do our ritual of getting into the nutritional stuff of the veggie and few other core ingredients in the dish. Jackfruit has some truly remarkable benefits.
Raw Jackfruit-A tropical fruit, originally indigenous to India can help in reducing extra fat as one bowl of raw-jackfruit got half of the calories of two chapattis/ Indian flatbread, along with high fibre and water content.
Apart from that it can beat your higher blood sugar levels as well as the cholesterol levels and prevent colon cancer.
Roasted Chana dal/Bengal gram- A rich source of plant based protein along with other macros helps you reduce weight, prevent few chronic diseases as well as help you to keep your appetite under control.
Here go the cooking instructions.
For the kebabs-
- 300gms boiled Fresh cut Raw-jackfruit pieces (cut into medium size pieces)
- 1/4th cup freshly roasted powdered chana dal.
- 1tsp Ginger garlic paste(fresh)
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1tbsp amchur/dried mango powder
- Pinch of black salt
- 1tsp Freshly roasted n ground cumin powder
- 1tbsp freshly roasted n ground coriander powder
- 1Tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- Dash of lime juice
- 1 Finely chopped green chilly
- 1tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 1tsp oil/ghee
For the chutney-
- ½cup hung curd
- 2tbsp green chutney (a paste of green chilli, fresh coriander leaves, fresh mint leaves, a small piece of ginger, lime juice and salt)
- Take the pat dried boiled jackfruit pieces in a mixing bowl and mash them nicely with the help of a spoon.
- Add all the ingredients mentioned above (except the oil and the chutney ingredients)
- Now make the Kebabs( if the mixture is bit wet then add 1tbsp of extra roasted chana dal flour to adjust the consistency)
- Make kebab shapes(try not to make very thick kebabs, as it will take longer to cook with such a less amount of oil).
- Put a non-stick pan or pre-seasoned cast iron skillet on high flame. Now brush the surface with a little bit of ghee or refined oil.
- Put the kebabs on to the pan and cook on a medium flame.
- Cook till one side is golden brown.
- Brush the uncooked side with remaining of the ghee/ refined oil.
- Now turn the kebabs and cook the other side.
- Beat the hung curd nicely with a whisk.
- Add the green chutney and mix it nicely
- Adjust the salt level.
Best served with hot kebabs and chutney with a few fresh pomegranate pearls/ anar dana.