Pancakes, probably the history is over 30,000 years old right from the Stone Age.
In ancient Greece and Rome, pancakes were made from wheat flour, olive oil, honey, and curdled milk(dahi). And if you look into the prehistoric procedure there was no leavening agent like baking soda or powder or yeast. It was a batter containing some starch base and some flavouring ingredients.
Then pancake used to be thin n flat.
Later in American kitchens, it got the fluffy texture as Americans had the baking soda which is widely accepted now.
Anyways, we like the pancakes in both the ways. Usually, pancakes are known to be rich in starch and oil. But we are definitely going to make it healthy yet simple and full of flavours for the diet n gym freaks.
Stay Tuned ????
Before getting into the recipe lets discuss the nutritional value of the base ingredients-
Ragi/ Finger millet flour- Makes the bones strong. Ragi flour has calcium in a good amount. Ragi is rich in iron which helps to produce haemoglobin in the body. Ragi contains natural fats and fibre which help to lose weight. Ragi is Gluten-free naturally.
Bananas– Moderates blood sugar level. It improves the digestive system. You are going to feel full by eating lesser quantity of bananas so it limits your intake.
Oats– Whole Oats Are Rich in Antioxidants including Avenanthramides. Oats Contain a Powerful Soluble Fiber Called Beta-Glucan. It can Lower Cholesterol Levels and Protect LDL Cholesterol. Oatmeal is quite Filling.
• 1 cup ragi/finger millet flour
• 1/4th cup oats flour
• 1/4th cup whole wheat flour
• 1tbsp olive oil.
• 1tsp vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 3tbsp honey
• 1tsp baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• Milk( to adjust the consistency of the batter)
• Roasted rolled oats
• Chopped roasted almonds
• Separate the yolk and white of the eggs in two mixing bowls
• Beat the egg whites till it gets fluffy and soft peaks are formed.
• Add the honey, vanilla extract, olive oil to the yolks and beat it nicely.
• Add the Ragi, oats and whole wheat flour to the yolk mixture slowly with continuous mixing.
• If you get a hard mixture, then add in 1/4th cup milk to it.
• Now slowly put the egg whites and fold the mixture with light hand and cut n fold method.
• Turn on the flame (simmer to medium). Put a non-stick frypan or pre-seasoned iron skillet.
• Brush little bit of olive oil on the pan
• Pour 1 ladle of batter on the hot pan.
• Put a little bit of chopped almonds and roasted oats on the top.
• Once you see bubbles start to come up carefully flip the pancake.
• Cook for 1-2 min.
• Now your delicious pancake is ready.
Enjoy hot with a drizzle of honey and chopped bananas, match made in heaven ????