STEAMED WHOLE WHEAT MUFFINS-
Indulge your sweet tooth cravings with these beauties, this simple yet healthier version of Muffin recipe is all you need this festive season. Many health-conscious and gym freak people consider muffin as a junk food as it contains lots of sugar, butter, all-purpose flour/ Maida. And all these 3 things are not meant for a health-conscious folks.
Today I thought of making a few changes in the recipe that can give you a reason to have it whenever you want at that too without guilt.
A typically traditional English recipe of 10th or 11th century, got modified and now it’s a popular household recipe. English muffin was made up of dough having yeast in it changed to a batter-based delight with baking powder in it. It is now a popular snack about the kids and the grownups too.
Let’s have a look into my version of making it.
Before the recipe let’s discuss the nutritional values of the core ingredients…
Whole wheat flour/ Atta-Although wheat flour is full of carbohydrates, but it has vitamins like B-1, B-3, and B-5, along with riboflavin and folate. It also has more iron, calcium, protein, and other nutrients than our white flour. And it got the fiber which helps in digestion and keep us filled so that we eat less which is important for weight-loss programme.
Egg-Egg whites are High-quality protein helps build stay energized, which can help them maintain an ideal weight. I know egg yolks are high in fat, but they are rich in many vitamins, especially water-soluble vitamins.
- 3/4th cup Whole wheat flour
- 3 eggs (in room temperature)
- 3-4tbsp honey
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder for garnishing(optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 3-4 tbsp of milk (in room temperature)
- Break the eggs and collect the egg whites and yolks in separate bowls.
- Beat the egg white till you get white soft peaks.
- Add vanilla extract, oil to the yolk and beat it till the colour gets little pale yellow.
- Add the honey to the yolk mixture n mix slowly to a smooth mixture.
- Now add in the flour, baking powder and salt to it. Mix with cut n fold method.
- If the batter is a little hard, add few tbsps. of milk to it (milk must be at room temperature).
- Add a little bit of egg white to the mixture and mix white light hand by cut and fold method.
- Add rest of the egg white to it and you will get an airy and light muffin batter.
- Make the steamer ready.
- Grease and line your muffin moulds with parchment paper (butter paper). Or if you are using silicone moulds no need to grease it.
- Now put your dough into the mould. (don’t make the dough stand for more than a minute after adding the egg whites as it will lose its foamy texture in a few seconds).
- Steam for 12-15 minutes.
- Now do the tooth peek test. If it comes out clean, then your muffins are ready to eat.
Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee!