Salads are usually considered as monotonous by many foodies. Often, it is misinterpreted as tasteless food. Today, I am going to break the myth and tell you the real story of salad. A salad is one dish which can be made delicious along with preserving its higher health quotient. Salads are usually made with fibre-rich vegetables and green leaves. For me, it is a balance of the right amount of seasoning, some crunchy n fresh vegetables and measured amount of protein.
Let us educate ourselves about the vegetables and leaves, which usually go in a salad. I prefer my salad vegetables from the street vendors or from local markets. Here in Odisha, there is a culture of “Haata”, which usually means a big assembly of vegetable vendors coming together on a specific day of a week to sell their fresh farm produces. The nearest one to my place opens twice a week. The quality of the fresh produce there is beautiful and far better than the vegetables that we get at supermarkets.
If you ask me, I will always say to make your salads from the seasonal produces. This helps to improve your immunity in that particular season. In India, we have a fair knowledge of the several seasonal vegetables which has developed due to our observational skills . And if you try to make some salad out of them, then you are going to get higher benefits.
Today, I am telling you the story of a salad which can complement your diet well and yet, is delicious. It has a higher amount of fibre, higher water content, enriched with vitamin C, and delicious protein and carbohydrate which we would love to enjoy every morning
Let us get into the nutritional factors of key ingredients of the dish-
MACKEREL FISH – Being rich in omega 3, it provides a very essential micronutrient to body which prevent cancer in many organs of the body. It has more antioxidants which release free radicals to prevent carcinogenic activity. It is rich in coenzymes and more ever it completes your daily protein intake. So it contributes to your weight loss programme.
LETTUCE- Being rich in vitamin C. Potassium, calcium it completes the daily intake of many micronutrients. It is loaded with antioxidant which helps in keeping better immunity. Being rich in water content and fibre it contributes to better health management and better digestion.
CHERRY TOMATOES- Being rich in vitamin C its boosts immune system. It can be used in beauty care. It protects the skin from faster ageing. Being low in calories, it can be a better option in any salad. the tang of these gives a different dimension to the salad.
- Fillet of a 300gms mackerel fish. (i made the fillet at home, you can get it done from the shop)
- Fresh lettuce leaves 2-3 whole leaves
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes cut into halves
- 1 small onion cut into quarters
- 2 loaves of sandwich bread
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tbsp boiled chickpeas
- Thin long ribbons of cucumber.
- 1tsp freshly crushed black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp butter
- Cut roundels of the sandwich bread with a cookie cutter
- Put a little bit of butter on each side of the bread and toast it till it gets crisp and golden brown.
- Take out the bread, into the same pan goes tsp butter little bit of olive oil.
- Once the butter is hot put the fish fillet in and cook for till done. ( don’t overcook)
- Take out the fish to a bowl.
- In to the same pan goes onion quarters and grill it with a little bit of salt for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Take out the onions
- To make the dressing add the extra virgin olive oil, garlic, lime juice, salt and crushed pepper.
- Mix well and toss the cherry tomatoes and lettuce leaves in it.
You can plate all the components like me or you can just put everything into your favourite salad bowl and enjoy.