PRAWN TRIPLE SCHEZWAN FRIED RICE WITH A SUPER HEALTHY TWIST!!!…
A simple yet so delicious one that hardly takes a few minutes to prepare and finish off. I have an emotional attachment to this dish since my initial days in Mumbai- The city of dreams. This was my favourite food, not at every restaurant but only at 3 places that too with my best friend. I know you guys also have such beautiful stories where food plays the role of a hero and I won’t mind if you like sharing it with me here ????.
Anyway, lets debate about the dish. This dish is made up of 3 major ingredients – Rice, Noodles and Schezwan sauce. It depends on you that you can add chicken, eggs, prawns or even the seasonal veggies to it.
And with it goes pretty well the oh so delicious Manchurian (chicken, prawn or vegetable). Today we are going to learn, how I can make it healthy for you.
Before getting into the recipe let’s get into the nutritional factors of the key ingredients.
Prawns– These are rich protein source. They are source of selenium, one of the most effective antioxidants at maintaining healthy cells. They also contain high levels of Zinc, which is important to develop a healthy immune system. Prawns contain phosphorous, copper and magnesium too.
BrownBasmati rice– The high fiber in brown basmati rice helps in lowering the cholesterol. Moves the waste through the digestive tract and give you a filling meal. In another way, it restricts you to eat more so you get lesser calories from your meal.
Egg– Eggs are the best source of protein and essential fatty acids which is a must in your weight-reduction or weight-gain programme.
- Fresh medium size prawns- 300 grams (deshelled& deveined)
- Fresh small size prawns-150grams (deshelled& deveined)
- Brown basmati rice-1/2 cup (washed n soaked for 30 minutes then boiled)
- Thin boiled noodles-3/4 cup (I usually make fresh whole wheat noodles at home, but you can get packed one from the market too)
- Eggs-2 nos.
- Spring onion- 1cup (finely chopped greens and roughly chopped white parts)
- Schezwan sauce- 3tbsp (freshly made are always nice but you can use the packed one too)
- Garlic-10-12 cloves finely chopped
- Ginger- ½ inch (cut into fine julienne)
- Oil- 4tsp oil
- Green bell peppers -1/2 (diced)
- Onion- 1 small (finely chopped)
- Soya sauce-2 tbsp
- Tomato sauce-1tbsp (as we have to avoid sugar so for that little sweetness tomato sauce is there)
- Cornstarch slurry-1tsp
- Green chillies- 1tbsp (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
Basically, this dish has 3 segments in it-
- Schewzan prawn fried rice
- Prawn Manchurian(semi gravy)
- Pan-fried egg/ sunny side up egg
Let’s get into the 1st part –
SCHEZWAN PRAWN FRIED RICE-
- Marinate the small prawns in salt and little bit of soya sauce for 10-15 minutes.
- Put the non-stick pan on medium flame and put 1tsp oil into it and spread it.
- Add in the small prawns and cook till they are done.
- Keep the small prawns aside.
- Beat one egg nicely with little bit of salt n pepper and then put it into the pan and scramble it.
- Take the egg out n keep it aside.
- Put 1more tsp oil into the pan and add the spring onion whites, the scrambled egg, small prawns, and 3tbsp of schezwan sauce and salt,sauté for some time.
- Add the rice and broken noodles into it and stir continuously till everything is mixed properly for 2-3 min on high flame.
- Add the2tbsp of chopped spring onion greens to it and sauté for a minute.
- Your fried rice is ready.
- Marinate the medium prawns with salt and little bit of soya sauce for 15 mins.
- Put 1tsp oil in a non-stick pan.
- When the oil is hot put the medium prawns.
- Cook till nicely done on both the sides and keep an eye on it as you are using a negligible amount of oil to fry it. Do not burn.
- Keep the prawns aside.
- Add 1tsp oil to the pan and add the finely chopped onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies, bell peppers and sauté for 2 mins on high flame.
- Add the soya sauce and tomato sauce to it.
- Sauté nicely
- Add ½ cup of water to it and add the finely chopped spring onion greens to it.
- Now add the prawns to it n let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the corn starch slurry to it and let the sauce thicken and coat the prawns nicely.
- Your prawn Manchurian is ready.
- Take a clean non-stick pan and brush oil on the surface.
- Break the egg on the pan and let it cook on low flame till you see a proper sunny side up egg with that bright yellow runny yolk on it. Season it with salt.
- Your egg is ready.
Plating plays a vital role in this dish. You can plate it like I have done, or you can take the Manchurian and the fried rice in 2 different bowls but yes you have to cover the fried rice with the sunny side up egg as it is the only way people follow to serve it in many restaurants. You can say that is the charm of the dish.
Enjoy the steaming hot fried rice!