When I utter the word ‘Tacos’, what comes to all of our minds is, spiced chicken and salad in a deep-fried corn tortilla. Of course, it does sound delicious but its one of the super junk food dishes. And here I am, through our page, trying to convert all these junk food items into super healthy ones. So, Today we are going to change our regular high-calorie tacos to a healthy one with those ingredients which are readily available in every home.
If we peep into the history of tacos, it has been said that taco got its origin from the silver mines of Mexico in the 19th century. Tacos got the name from the word ‘Taquitos‘. Taquitos was the paper used for wrapping the explosive in dynamite. First type of taco was “Taco de Minero,” which translates to mean miner’s tacos. Anyways we are not going to make the similar Mexican tacos here. We will definitely give a nice twist to the traditional taco.
Let us get into the nutritional factors of the core ingredients-
SPINACH- Spinach contains several vitamins and minerals, including potassium, magnesium, and vitamins B6, B9, and E. Being considered as a superfood Spinach is an extremely nutrient-rich vegetable. It packs high amounts of carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid, iron, and calcium. Spinach is effective in maintaining blood purity and lowering cholesterol resulting in lesser heart diseases. it helps in maintaining good eyesight.
CHICKEN- chicken is the most consumed food for all most all the gym freaks. Higher protein content and mineral content make it super beneficial for muscle gain and bodybuilding.
FOR THE TACO SHELLS-
- 1cup Whole wheat flour
- 300grams of spinach( blanched and finely chopped)
- 3tbsps finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1tsp freshly crushed red chilly flakes
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1tsp olive oil
- Water to make the dough
- 1tsp olive oil extra to roast the shells.
- 300gms chicken breast(cut into small cubes)
- 1tsp all-purpose flour
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1tbsp crushed black paper
- Salt to taste
- 1/4th cup milk
- 2 cloves of garlic(finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (fine julienne)
- 1 medium-size tomato(finely chopped)
- 1 small size cucumber(fine julienne)
- ½ lime
For the filling-
- Marinate the chicken pieces in salt and pepper powder for 10-15 minutes.
- Take a little bit of olive oil in a non-stick pan. Put the chicken in and shear it for 1-2 minutes.
- Take out the chicken, and in the same pan goes 1 tsp olive oil followed by the 1tsp all-purpose flour.
- Cook it for 30 seconds.
- Add the milk into it and cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the milk starts to thicken, put the chicken and garlic in
- Cook it on medium flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Take out the chicken and the extra sauce.
For the shell-
- Knead a soft dough of all ingredients mentioned in the shell section. Brush a little bit of oil on the dough and keep it aside for 50 minutes. (use covered pot)
- Once the dough is set, roll thin and round flatbreads.
- Roast is nicely on a non-stick Tawa by brushing a little bit of olive on each side.
- Keep the shells aside
- Line the shells on a plate.
- Put a layer of chicken.
- On that goes the salad 1.e cucumber, onion, tomatoes.
- Sprinkle salt on the tacos (just to balance the salt of the salad)
- Squeeze dash of lime juice on each taco
- Spread the remaining white sauce on top of it.
Enjoy it with your fav chilled drink. I prefer it with my homemade iced tea.