When I say “Taco”, the first thing that comes to my mind, is a deliciously fried or baked, crusty corn tortilla with some scrumptious seasoned meat, flavourful sauces and some fresh salad on top. Most of us are in love with it. Usually, the crust is baked or deep-fried with a good amount of oil. But to make things more interesting, we are going to give it a nice twist with some pure ‘desi’ flavours and without altering its international look.
Before we get into the recipe, let’s go through the super weird yet interesting history of tacos.
Have you ever thought from where did the word Taco came? The name got its existence from the silver mines of Mexico. They used to put dynamite in the ore which was exactly like the shape of the taco we eat now. There was a paper wrap inside which the gun powder was stuffed. Now as we are aware of the origination of it is name, and as we all love tacos nowadays, so let’s move on to our super delicious tortillas from those gun powder and the paper wrap.
let us get into the nutritional factor of the key ingredients.
RAW BANANA-Raw bananas are the fibre-rich miracle food which can be great for diabetics. They help in maintaining blood sugar and also help in keeping the heart-healthy. Raw bananas are rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin B6. These are a rich source of fiber resulting it to be effective in weight management. Apart from all the benefits, raw banana is very beneficial in maintaining stomach health.
WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR-Whole wheat flour is also rich in vitamins B-1, B-3, and B-5, along with riboflavin and folate. It also has more iron, calcium, protein, and other nutrients than white flour.
- 2 Raw bananas(boiled and peeled)
- 1tbsp Chopped garlic
- ½ tbsp chopped ginger
- 1small onion (finely chopped)
- 1tsp garam masala
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 finely chopped roasted almonds
- 1tsp freshly roasted and powdered cumin powder
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1tsp chilli flakes(can be adjusted as per the taste)
- Salt to taste
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp cornstarch slurry
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3tbsp pizza sauce
- 1cup of whole wheat flour
- 1tbsp cornstarch
- Water (to make a semi-soft dough)
- Knead semi-soft dough with whole wheat flour, cornstarch, salt and water with little bit of oil.
- Let the dough rest for 15-20 min covered.
- Mash the bananas
- Pan on medium flame.
- Add ½ tbsp of oil into the pan.
- Add chopped garlic, ginger and chopped onion into it.
- Sauté till fragrant.
- Add the mashed banana into the pan
- Add salt, chilli flakes, roasted cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala into it.
- Cook it on low flame with continuous mixing for 2-3 minutes.
- Off the flame and put the lemon juice. Mix well
- Keep it aside.
- Take the cornstarch slurry in a bowl and the rolled oats in a plate.
- Once the banana mixture comes to room temperature, make small Tikki/ patty shapes.
- Put the patties/ Tikki in the cornstarch slurry and coat well then coat the oats nicely on it.
- Keep the patties aside on a plate
- Take the whole wheat flour dough and divide it into equal portions.
- Roll the dough into thin and round sheets. (the sheets must of the size which can hold the patty in it as per shown in the picture.
- Now spread some pizza sauce on one side of the sheets and wrap it on the Tikki/ patties as shown in the picture.
- Put the pan on medium flame with dash of oil.
- Put the tacos. Roast each side of the taco nicely with eventual oil brushing on it.
- Once the shell is crispy n golden brown, your tacos are ready.
Serve hot with your favourite ketchup or tomato mayo or any other sauce of your choice.